🔕 🔔

What is your go to brand for canned tomatoes?

asked by monkeymom about 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Ever since I read about BPA being used as a liner for canned food, I've been using Pomi boxed tomatoes. See this link: http://dinersjournal.blogs...

For domestic canned tomatoes I use Muir Glen. But I do indulge in imported San Marzano tomatoes from Napoli. But beware that there is a brand name "San Marzano" in the USA, and those tomatoes come from Arizona.

D1964e69 bde7 422d 9621 9d8c1f7bc3cf  newliztoqueicon 2

ditto pierino, although I hadn't known of the AZ "impostors".

9920059c c14d 4755 965d d880979c2f61  monkeys

Thanks guys! If you make sure to check that the San Marzano are indeed from Napoli, does the brand make any difference? I've only tried a couple and it seems to me they can vary dramatically in the amount of acidity.

Depending on where you shop you're probably not going to have a wide selection of real San Marzanos, so it's what tastes good to you. But consider this also; the tomato is a fruit from the New World. It wasn't accepted as food in Europe until late in the 1700's but then found wedded bliss in the volcanic soil surrounding Napoli.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

I agree with drbabs. I really like Pomi and although I like San Marzanos they can be very expensive.