Can I substitue skinless chicken breasts for thighs & drum sticks and still make a decent Arroz Con Pollo?

phyllis
phyllis October 28, 2010

I substitute, too, sometimes. The chicken isn't as juicy and the chicken not quite as tasty w/out skin & bones. Make sure you season the breasts well.

CaryNC
CaryNC October 28, 2010

I would add the chicken breasts in strips or chunks after the rice has begun cooking a bit. Or I would sautee or grill the chicken and add in after the rice has cooked and use chicken stock instead of water for cooking the rice.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles October 28, 2010

Decent sure. I think that yummy fat adds something special to the dish. But if you are going to use skinless chicken, I agree with phyllis, just make sure to season well and maybe add a little extra oil to the recipe, to compensate for the lack of schmaltz.

allie
allie October 28, 2010

Add a slug of extra oil and watch carefully for doneness. One thing you should be careful about is reheating -- with dark meat, you can reheat with no worries. With white meat, sometimes things dry out if you are not careful.

campagnes
campagnes October 28, 2010

I agree with CaryNC. My roommate hates dark meat (I love it) so if we cooked together, we often had to swap breasts for thighs/drummies, and had to adjust the cooking time of the chicken lest it overcook. Good luck!

Kevin Koch
Kevin Koch October 28, 2010

Thanks all. Ill report tomorrow how it came out.

pierino October 28, 2010

I'm going to be the sole dissenter here I suppose, as veteran of many arroz con pollo meals. I think the bones are essential to the flavor, as are the skin and the fat---not to mention the chorizo fat. Okay, it's a mean old world but some skin and fat won't kill you unless you have them every day for breakfast.Although come to think of it, I wouldn't mind having that for breakfast.