🔕 🔔

Can I substitue skinless chicken breasts for thighs & drum sticks and still make a decent Arroz Con Pollo?

asked by Kevin Koch almost 7 years ago

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

I substitute, too, sometimes. The chicken isn't as juicy and the chicken not quite as tasty w/out skin & bones. Make sure you season the breasts well.

I would add the chicken breasts in strips or chunks after the rice has begun cooking a bit. Or I would sautee or grill the chicken and add in after the rice has cooked and use chicken stock instead of water for cooking the rice.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Decent sure. I think that yummy fat adds something special to the dish. But if you are going to use skinless chicken, I agree with phyllis, just make sure to season well and maybe add a little extra oil to the recipe, to compensate for the lack of schmaltz.

Add a slug of extra oil and watch carefully for doneness. One thing you should be careful about is reheating -- with dark meat, you can reheat with no worries. With white meat, sometimes things dry out if you are not careful.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

I agree with CaryNC. My roommate hates dark meat (I love it) so if we cooked together, we often had to swap breasts for thighs/drummies, and had to adjust the cooking time of the chicken lest it overcook. Good luck!

Bb2484c1 7687 43fc 8571 3afecb68fa95  open uri20141126 29512 16wqt8j

Thanks all. Ill report tomorrow how it came out.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I'm going to be the sole dissenter here I suppose, as veteran of many arroz con pollo meals. I think the bones are essential to the flavor, as are the skin and the fat---not to mention the chorizo fat. Okay, it's a mean old world but some skin and fat won't kill you unless you have them every day for breakfast.Although come to think of it, I wouldn't mind having that for breakfast.