recipe substitutes

Plan to try the Martha Steward mac n'cheese recipe. I'm currently living in Nairobi where I can find many things, however, just in case I don't find, I wonder what can I substitute for
a) freshly ground nutmeg? b) Sharp white cheddar? c) Gruyere Cheese and d) Romano Cheese? NZURI SANA-Thank you!

asked by QueenMother almost 7 years ago

nutcakes

This is difficult to answer because we have no idea what you do have available. For the nutmeg, you can omit it-- it is not essential. Don't use any of the spices usually suggested for substitutes, they are fine for baked goods but will be too sweet in this dish.

For the cheeses, which are essential, you will have to substitute in cheeses that you do have. I suggest you read up on the characteristics of those cheeses if you are not familiar so you can give a best guess. Cheddar is the main cheese and the others are optional, they just give more depth and flavor to the dish .But I don't see how you can do without the cheddar. use any cheddar of any color but sharp means aged and that will be less bland than if you use a mild one. For the Gruyere, substitute any Swiss type cheese. For Romano a hard grating cheese with a pungent flavor, use Parmesan, Asiago, any other hard grating cheese. Good luck.

ATG117

Gruyere is nutty like a swiss. Anything in that family would be n okay substitute. I agree with the Parmesan Romano sibstitution, though I would not go with asiago. And as for the cheddar, well, you should try to fins a good cheddar. Otherwise, it might not be worth making the dish. The cheese is pretty central to the final product you achieve.

These Impossibly Fudgy Chocolate Cakes Have One Big Secret

No butter, no oil -- just one magical ingredient.

Genius Chocolate Cake

Let's settle this once and for all, shall we?

The Best Carbonara, According to an Italian Chef

Holiday recipes from The German-Jewish cookbook

Break the Yom Kippur Fast with Salad

What's New in the Neighborhood

The four pasta dishes every Roman cook should know.

4 Classic Roman Pastas