A question about a recipe: Guacaracha

I have a question about the ingredient "sriracha (either purchased or homemade) + ½ teaspoon to taste" on the recipe "Guacaracha" from gingerroot.

E9c87456 3431 41a0 a2f9 84e966d49d6f  img 1371
Recipe question for: Guacaracha

sdebrango October 16, 2011

Is your question why 1 1/2 tsp and then 1/2tsp to taste? If so, you add the 1 1/2 tsp and mash with the onions and other ingredients and then if you want more heat you add the 1/2tsp at the end I think its optional. Maybe gingerroot will weigh in.

hardlikearmour October 16, 2011

I agree with sdebrango. You start with 1 & 1/2 teaspoons in the first step, and add an additional 1/2 teaspoon in the last step only if you want it spicier.

gingerroot
gingerroot October 16, 2011

Hi, Shoshin2, sdebrango and hardlikearmour are correct. My suggestion is to start with 1 1/2 t of sriracha in the first step and then add 1/2 t (or more) if necessary, to taste, at the end. I've made this countless times and I do like it a little on the spicy side, but 1 1/2 t is a good starting point. Then, depending on your heat tolerance, whether you used the bottled sriracha or made your own (edamame2003 has a fantastic recipe for homemade sriracha on this site) you may decide that you want more. Hope this is helpful.