pumpkin squash soup, called for smoked paprika, sage, thyme, feeling lacks a bit of sweetness

I added a carrot before blended, but needs something...looking for suggestions to enhance, sweeten a bit, would a brandy do? or sherry, or another spice?

wssmom
wssmom October 16, 2011

I think sherry rather than brandy would add some sweetness; you could also just add some brown sugar!

sheredel
sheredel October 16, 2011

Add your answer here

sheredel
sheredel October 16, 2011

Add your answer here

sheredel
sheredel October 16, 2011

Add your answer here

sheredel
sheredel October 16, 2011

Add your answer here

drbabs October 16, 2011

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but did you try salt and pepper? Sounds like it's supposed to be savory--maybe that would help? Otherwise, if you really want sweetness, I might try a a little molasses or honey so you don't water down the texture.

boulangere October 16, 2011

I'm with drbabs. I was going to suggest a bit of salt. Frequently, the right salt balance brings all the other flavors into just the right balance as well.

sheredel
sheredel October 16, 2011

does anyone know how to sign up for the email notifications when ques answered at this new site?

drbabs October 16, 2011

I think you should be getting them automatically. Check your spam folder if you're not. My experience is that email notifications work best with a gmail account.

usingSpoons
usingSpoons October 16, 2011

You could try some apple juice - works well with pumpkin, and might add the bit of sweetness you want. Or a very small amount of maple syrup.
I would also consider adjusting the salt as others have suggested. It may have enough sweetness if you amplify the flavour with some salt.
With those flavours, you could also add cream, which while not sweet in itself, may make it seem sweeter.

creamtea October 16, 2011

I agree with usingSpoons, a touch of maple syrup would be nice and seems to "go."

Greenstuff October 16, 2011

I haven't been getting notifications since the re-launch. I'm giving it a few days, though food52 did say to let them know.

As for your sweetness issue, you may want to re-think your expectations. A lot of pumpkin/squash soups are sweet. But if you go with a more savory option, you may end up liking it better--for some of us, all those apple and maple and honey variations can be too sweet for dinner.

sheredel
sheredel October 17, 2011

thank you creamtea, you were correct, it was good as is. did not need or miss the sweet.

Sugar On My Tongue
Sugar On My Tongue October 17, 2011

Did you oven roast the squash? Doing so will give it some caramelization and added sweetness. Agree with suggestion above that adding a bit of apple/apple juice can help too. And for future reference, I've posted a butternut squash and apple soup recipe on FOOD52 that might fit your bill.

sheredel
sheredel October 17, 2011

where might you go to change options such as where the to note a change of email?