A question about a recipe: Spaghetti Carbonara

B1c9b967 18c0 4890 90ff e798d1506119  carbonara macro

I have a question about the ingredient "large eggs (locally raised and cage-free if possible)" on the recipe "Spaghetti Carbonara" from Oui, Chef.

asked by Anina banana about 7 years ago

Anina banana

I did not understand how to enter my question. Here it is: I have only egg yolks, (left over after making meringue) Can I make this recipe with yolks only?

Oui, Chef

I don't see why not, but you will likely need to make up for the loss of whites by adding in a little extra of the pasta cooking water to keep the sauce creamy. I've also started "tempering" the egg/cheese mix with a little pasta water prior to adding it to the pan, and I find that help with making a nice creamy sauce as well. Good luck!

nutcakes

You can use yolks plus 1-2 Tbs of cream per egg called for. That's how I was taught to make carbonara from a chef at a Francis Coppola restaurant, when I admired his carbonara. I'ts pretty much just egg yolk based sauce which I prefer to one with whites.