Really want to make those pumpkin caramels, but am wondering if the gray sea salt I have will work or if fleur de sel is worth the purchase. Thoughts?

asked by laura_arenschield_graff almost 8 years ago

CaryNC

I would say yes it should work since fleur de sel is sea salt and is typically grayish in color. I would just pay attention to how fine the grind is between what you have and what the recipe calls for.

Jon Palmer

Most high-quality salts are probably just fine. It's about getting a good salt flavor to go with the caramel and maintaining a texture intended by the recipe.

laura_arenschield_graff

Great -- thank you both so much for the answers! The salt I have is pretty coarse, so I think it should be okay .Was more wondering if there was a noticeable taste difference between fleur de sel and gray sea salt. Doesn't seem like there is. Thanks again!!

innoabrd

fleur de sel is much finer and flakier than a typical course grey sea salt. I think the grey salt has much more flavour, however. Frankly, I generally only use fleur de sel for filling salt cellars. If your recipe wants something flakier to go on top (?) you might find the fleur de sel works better, but if it's flavour your after, go grey!

These Impossibly Fudgy Chocolate Cakes Have One Big Secret

No butter, no oil -- just one magical ingredient.

Genius Chocolate Cake

Inspired by Chef Bryant Ng's creamy classic.

30-Minute Chickpea Curry

Let's settle this once and for all, shall we?

The Best Carbonara, According to an Italian Chef

What's New in the Neighborhood

Holiday recipes from The German-Jewish cookbook

Break the Yom Kippur Fast with Salad