Farro

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 7 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

My favorite grain! Just kidding -- in all seriousness, farro (yes, two "r"'s) is an ancient roman grain, similar to barley and spelt, but NOT the same. In Italy, it is often cooked like pasta (in boiling water for about 15 minutes or so -- till al dente) or risotto (using water to gradually thicken and cook through.) It's nutty flavor and pleasant toothiness makes it perfect in salads (warm and cold), soups, and ground into flour for cakes and such. I could go on ... but that should get you started. Enjoy!

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti