How do you prepare your powder room for guests -- special handtowels, soaps?

Help us build the Food52 Holiday App. Give us your tried and true holiday entertaining tips.

This is from your friendly editors at Food52.

asked about 7 years ago

Clean towels, extra rolls of toilet paper, liquid soap, and if I'm being very fancy, a bud vase with a couple of flowers in it. Nothing, however, trumps making sure it's simply very clean.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Oh yah, it's got to be clean - including baseboards and what you can see when you close the door. I love all the flavored air plugins they have nowadays that are holiday themed - christmas pine, pumpkin, etc. As long as it's not too overpowering - plug in a new one a day or two before guests arise so that it's not quite as pungent. And I'm with amysarah about liquid soap - no messy bars. I also would make sure there is a spray scent (same sent as the plugin) in case a little burst of extra fragrance is required!

wssmom

For Thanksgiving I will set out a couple of mums and tuck some fall foliage behind the mirror; for Christmas, a couple poinsettias and some pine sprigs behind the mirror. I had stopped setting out holiday-themed disposable guest towels because everyone was afraid to use them; I solved this by crumbling up one or two visibly in the waste basket BEFORE the guests arrived.

I agree with a clean bathroom being first on the list, I do have special hand towels but actually like the disposable ones they are convenient and sanitary. Always put flowers and a nice bottle of liquid soap. I also like to have fragrant candle.

wssmom

Ditto Helen's All Night Diner -- absolutely empty the medicine cabinet!!!

Melusine

If there's room on the counter, a small lamp is a nice touch, and beats the pants over strong overhead lighting at an evening event.

A little basket with travel-sized hair spray, nice hand lotion and such -- so your guests DON'T go rooting through your cupboards can be helpful.

Yes to Helen's All Night Diner - and remove the cat's litter box to another location.