If I don't have enough closet space, what can I do with guests' coats?

Help us build our Food52 Holiday App. What are your tried and true holiday entertaining tips?

• Posted by: Food52
  • October 21, 2011

amysarah October 21, 2011

I've rented coat racks a couple of time (most party rentals have them) - they are surprisingly inexpensive and very convenient. I set it up in a bedroom - beats throwing coats on the bed.

Niknud
Niknud October 21, 2011

These removable hooks are genius! I use them (although not this brand specifically) for my kids because they need coat hooks at different heights and when they grow I can just move the hooks higher. I imagine they would serve well to add some additional coat hanging capacity during the holiday visiting rush.

wssmom
wssmom October 21, 2011

I have on hand a couple of over-the-door racks (the kind with six hooks) that I bring out and set up if I need more space for guests' coats.

susan g October 21, 2011

a) We don't even have a coat closet. There are hooks on the wall in an alcove near the entry. That said, b) when guests come, I can take our coats out and hide them so the guests can use the wall hooks, and also set up some 'trees' for extras.

Voted the Best Reply!

sdebrango October 21, 2011

A collapsable folding clothing rack, can be stored easily even under a bed and inexpensive. Not me in the picture.

SKK October 21, 2011

There is one at Storables http://www.storables.com/garment-rack.html for $16.95 that is easy to dismantel and hide.

DebJ
DebJ October 21, 2011

Ummm. Back in the day (dating myself, I know), it was acceptable to pile the coats neatly on a bed (yes, later you might find a small child or cat nestled in them). Is that not acceptable anymore? And now that I live in southern California, there aren't too many occasions when people arrive with coats. I guess that's another solution. ;-)