What are three types of alcohol that every bar should stock?

Just starting out? Bar cart expert? Tell us what you think!

This is from your friendly editors at Food52.

asked about 7 years ago

I'd vote vodka, bourbon, and gin.

vodka, rum gin

beyondcelery

Whiskey, gin, and brandy. This keeps the whiskey lovers happy, the gluten-free people less paranoid, and appeals to a wide range of ages and palates (especially if the brandy's applejack). It's also easy to use any of these straight up or in either sweet or savory cocktails; they all have a lot of versatility. If you also stock a few homemade mixers or garnishes (ginger syrup, cherry bitters, preserved cherries, rosemary syrup, flavored vinegar), your guests will feel like royalty.

wssmom

Wow, that's a tough one. Only three? The simplest options are a quality vodka, such as elit by Stolichnaya; a solid bourbon, like Maker's Mark, and Hendrick's gin, plus assorted mixers such as tonic water, cranberry juice, orange juice, seltzer, ginger ale, cola, etc. That being said, what I like to do in addition to the basics is to feature some kind of not-too-sweet punch such as Amanda's 19th Century Roman Punch (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) which, like sharing a wine at dinner, allows the guests to share in and experience the same drink.

I can't do three - scotch, bourbon, rum, gin, vodka and brandy. That is five. And they should be good quality.

I can't do three either. Vodka, gin, scotch, and a good microbrew.

Helen's All Night Diner

Vodka, some nice liqueurs, and sparkling wine...

I'm hoping most people will already have vodka/bourbon/gin/tequila etc. in their cardboard box in the dining room closet, I mean liquor cupboard. That said, for a rockin' good time, get a bottle of Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur, a bottle of St. Germaine, and a bottle of sweet vermouth. Cheers!

Can't believe we forgot tequila! Thanks for the reminder!