I'm pan-frying chicken in Crisco. Is it ok to save/reuse the shortening for frying chicken next time? If so, what's the best way to do it?

If the shortening can be saved for reuse, how long would it keep?

asked by Louisa over 6 years ago

wssmom

Pan frying or deep frying? if you have deep fried the chicken, strain the fat through a paper-towel lined mesh strainer to remove all the little particles, etc. I would then refrigerate it. It can be used again.

Louisa

I pan fry chicken about 2-3 times a year. I know reusing is a better option, but I haven't done this before. So, strain and refrigerate? And will it be fine if I don't use for 6 months?

wssmom

I don't think anything keeps in the fridge for six months, not even the baking soda!! No, I would reuse it within a month.

I totally agree with wssmom. Here is a site I always checked on because my Dad always argued he could save his cooking oil and I was worried about health issues. Dad surely could save his cooking oil when he lived on his farm, but not so much now. http://extension.psu.edu...

Louisa

Thanks for the answers. I guess I will not be saving it because it's too long between frying times.
Thanks also for the county extension website which I will check out.