I'm pan-frying chicken in Crisco. Is it ok to save/reuse the shortening for frying chicken next time? If so, what's the best way to do it?

If the shortening can be saved for reuse, how long would it keep?

• Posted by: Louisa
  • October 22, 2011

Louisa October 23, 2011
Thanks for the answers. I guess I will not be saving it because it's too long between frying times.
Thanks also for the county extension website which I will check out.

SKK October 22, 2011
I totally agree with wssmom. Here is a site I always checked on because my Dad always argued he could save his cooking oil and I was worried about health issues. Dad surely could save his cooking oil when he lived on his farm, but not so much now. http://extension.psu.edu/food-safety/food-preservation/faq/questions-and-answers-about-re-using-frying-oil

wssmom October 22, 2011
I don't think anything keeps in the fridge for six months, not even the baking soda!! No, I would reuse it within a month.

Louisa October 22, 2011
I pan fry chicken about 2-3 times a year. I know reusing is a better option, but I haven't done this before. So, strain and refrigerate? And will it be fine if I don't use for 6 months?

wssmom October 22, 2011
Pan frying or deep frying? if you have deep fried the chicken, strain the fat through a paper-towel lined mesh strainer to remove all the little particles, etc. I would then refrigerate it. It can be used again.