Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

What is a foolproof method and recipe for homemade creme fraiche?

I have tried to make it before using ultra-pasteurized cream and buttermilk, which I left on my counter. It did thicken and it got tangy, but it just wasn't as good as the kind I can buy from the store. Was it because I used ultra-pasteurized cream rather pasteurized? Should I have heated first? I would love a foolproof and easy way to make this. Thanks!

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 5 years ago
B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Ultra pasteurizing takes all the good bacteria that's necessary for controlled souring to make creme fraiche. Next time, start with very fresh, pasteurized cream (or raw if you can.) Put nearly a pint into a clean jar. Add 3 Tablespoons of buttermilk and stir well with a very clean stainless steel spoon. Leave the jar uncovered on the counter overnight. Stir again in the morning. If it is not as thick as you want (mine rarely is,) leave it uncovered on the counter until that evening, when it should be tangy and thick. If you must cover the jar (perhaps you have a cat?,) put a single wispy piece of cheesecloth over the top and secure with twine or a rubber band. You want air to get into the cream to create the souring that makes it creme fraiche.

MrsWheelbarrow

MrsWheelbarrow