What is a foolproof method and recipe for homemade creme fraiche?

I have tried to make it before using ultra-pasteurized cream and buttermilk, which I left on my counter. It did thicken and it got tangy, but it just wasn't as good as the kind I can buy from the store. Was it because I used ultra-pasteurized cream rather pasteurized? Should I have heated first? I would love a foolproof and easy way to make this. Thanks!

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow October 27, 2011

Ultra pasteurizing takes all the good bacteria that's necessary for controlled souring to make creme fraiche. Next time, start with very fresh, pasteurized cream (or raw if you can.) Put nearly a pint into a clean jar. Add 3 Tablespoons of buttermilk and stir well with a very clean stainless steel spoon. Leave the jar uncovered on the counter overnight. Stir again in the morning. If it is not as thick as you want (mine rarely is,) leave it uncovered on the counter until that evening, when it should be tangy and thick. If you must cover the jar (perhaps you have a cat?,) put a single wispy piece of cheesecloth over the top and secure with twine or a rubber band. You want air to get into the cream to create the souring that makes it creme fraiche.

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow October 27, 2011

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow October 27, 2011