🔕 🔔

What is a foolproof method and recipe for homemade creme fraiche?

I have tried to make it before using ultra-pasteurized cream and buttermilk, which I left on my counter. It did thicken and it got tangy, but it just wasn't as good as the kind I can buy from the store. Was it because I used ultra-pasteurized cream rather pasteurized? Should I have heated first? I would love a foolproof and easy way to make this. Thanks!

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago

My experience -- yep, it was the UHT cream. Warmer temps will help the creme fraiche set up a bit faster. The ratio I use is 2 tbsp buttermilk to 1 cup cream. Shake it up well in a jar, and put it aside.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

AGree with Melusine, the ultra-pasteurized cream can throw a monkey wrench into a lot of recipes ....

I SO lament the demise of the oven pilot light in the home oven. In its absence, whisk together 8 ounces ov heavy cream (honestly, half and half works as well), and 2 ounces of buttermilk or sour cream. Set it in a warm place for 24 hours. An old-fashioned oven with a pilot light is just perfect. In its absence, use a yogurt maker. It lieu of that, pour the solution into a glass jar (think Mason), wrap it in a heating pad set on Low, and encase it with rubber bands. Slam-dunk either way.