What spices go well with hazelnuts? I'm planning to spice-brine some hazelnuts this week, and would love your suggestions. Thank you. ;o)

I'll use the method described in my recipe, Crispy Spice-Brined Pecans (which I Iearned from reading Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions".) Would you consider using some sort of citrus peel as well? Thanks, everyone. ;o)

asked about 7 years ago

Orange peel would be wonderful with the hazelnuts. I have been thinking of doing the same and wondered if espresso grounds with orange peel would work I just thought infusing the nuts with coffee and orange would be amazing if it would work.. Sorry I went off track its just an idea I had. I love cinnamon and nutmeg, I think hazelnuts scream for warm earthy spices, allspice would be good. Was thinking about cardamom also.

I agree about cinnamon, nutmeg or mace - and some sort of citrus peel. Hazelnuts and honey also like each other (a favorite flavor at our local gelato shop) - so maybe some honey, if you want to add a sweet element.

EmilyNunn

Citrus peel, or ginger, or pumpkin pie spices.

Droplet

They have a mild somewhat smoky flavor to me and I think that something piney would go nicely with that. Herbes de provence might also go well with them, in composite proportions to your liking.

Do let us know what you make, AJ! I love hazelnuts.

i would try orange zest and anise seeds. I love that combination!

Bevi

Lemon Peel? I had the best salad at Vanderbilt, a restaurant in Prospect Heights, Bklyn. The chef had dehydrated some butternut squash, and placed on a bed of watercress with sliced, pickled shallots and hazelnuts toasted and perfumed with lemon peel.

meganvt01

I'd add some fennel seeds as well.