Does anyone have a good game for breaking the ice when entertaining?

This is the tail end of our Holiday iPad app entertaining tip collecting! Help us pull it all together with your tried and true ways to survive the holidays.

• Posted by: Food52
  • October 29, 2011

boulangere October 29, 2011

Pictionary is always a stitch - have had some of my best times around it.

sdebrango October 29, 2011

Love pictionary, trivial pursuit is also fun!

SKK October 29, 2011

There are two things I have done that people had fun with and took the idea to their own parties. The first was to bring their favorite poem that inspires them and everyone takes turns and reads it outloud to the group.
The second, and we really had fun with this, was everyone brought the lyrics of their favorite song, enough copies to hand out to everyone at the party. The names of the songs were sent to me in advance and I downloaded them. Then we all sang the songs together. Who knew we could rock like that?

madebylis
madebylis October 29, 2011

Catch Phrase is always a good time :-)

Voted the Best Reply!

kelleya
kelleya October 29, 2011

This is one I've used several times that always goes very well. Prior to the party, make little signs (yellow stickies or something else that canbe attached to clothing) each containing the name of a famous person, living or deceased. Examples would be Julia Child, Albert Einstein, President Obama, Queen Elizabeth, Santa Claus, etc - really anyone. Put one on the back of each guest without telling them who they "have". You can have someone pull one to put on yourself. Then, as people walk around with cocktails etc you have them guess "who they are" by asking questions of the other guests. ex: "Am I alive or deceased?" " Am I male or female?" "Am I on TV?" etc etc. You can have extras so as people guesswho they are, they can take another. This is good because you can stop as soon as people have had enough of it - you don't have to play to conclusion or til someone wins and you don't need a lot of props or a special place to sit, etc. Good luck!.

hardlikearmour October 30, 2011

I love this idea, despite the fact it did not end well in Inglorius Basterds!

jendooley
jendooley October 31, 2011

I have also done this with great success. If you do this inside - cover your mirrors before your guests arrive :-)

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby October 30, 2011

I always ask how they met the host/ hostess....while it is not an organized "activity", it always makes for a interesting opening gambit and everyone has a story (sometimes a juicy one!)

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby October 30, 2011

dymnyno
dymnyno October 30, 2011

Recently I was at a dinner party of 16 people (seated) and the hostess asked each of us to describe the first person they had met who was at the table and how and when; then that person did the same, until everyone had told the story of meeting another person at the table. It was interesting listening to the social network that had brought everyone to the party.

pamelalee
pamelalee October 31, 2011

Two truths and a lie is a fun game. Everyone writes down and then shares 3 little-known facts about himself - two are true and the third is false. Everyone has to guess which one is the lie.