🔕 🔔

Let's talk centerpieces for holiday entertaining -- ones children can help make? Ones made of fruit and vegetables?

Help us finish up our holiday entertaining tips for our Holiday iPad app! Send us your tricks to survival.

This is from your friendly editors at Food52.

asked almost 6 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Love that idea Ms.T!!

When we were pretty young, my brother and I helped our mother make a felt turkey head which was then attached to a pineapple body (with the top of the pineapple as the tail...I know how it may sound, but it was cute...at least to us!). That head was then brought out every year and stuck on a pineapple as the centerpiece. I think we surrounded him with clementines, cranberries, etc., when we remembered. The closest pattern I can find online is this one:
http://craftzone.tripod...

"Mr. Turkey" is still with us!

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Our daughter was in charge of decorating the table. (I thought I posted it before but the server w down...so forgive me if there is a similar repost). When she was very little, we cut open grocery paper bags and she drew "placemats" for everyone. They were a darling juxtaposition to my irish linen tablecloths, china and silver! As she grew older, they became more elaborate with decorative scissored edgings, glitter and water colors. They also ended up becoming the "seating place cards" because she would want Granny to have this design, uncle Rick another...when she took it upon herself to have her younger cousins to help...we knew we had a family tradition!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

This year, I've been noticing more miniature fall fruit. Crabapples, small macouns, seckel pears, or peri (sp?) pears are some I saw at the Greenmarket. They would be so pretty simply sprinkled with disco dust (edible glitter), maybe along with some mandarin oranges, champagne grapes or other little guys. By candlelight they would look so pretty! Gonna have to work on this with my little cousins ;)