A question about a recipe: Grilled Pepper Cheese Sandwiches

1d6397a4 77be 47b3 b844 93dc162f03e7  011910f 732

I have a question about the recipe "Grilled Pepper Cheese Sandwiches" from Savour. I can't stand mayo, would taking it out of this recipe completely ruin it? Or, is there something I can substitute the may for? Thanks!

asked by lauramkwan almost 7 years ago

lorigoldsby

The mayo is working as a binder. If you use 1/2 the amount of a whipped cream cheese or ricotta, you might get the same texture.

Sour Cream, Creme Fraicke or even Bousiene Cheese.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Tahini is my mayo-sub of choice.

CarlaCooks

I also hate mayonnaise, but I find I can stomach it if I've made it myself. I add a good bit of vinegar, lemon juice, and salt to an egg yolk, then gradually beat in 3/4 cup canola oil. It's nice and tangy and a million times more edibly than the store-bought junk.