🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Bhutanese Red Rice, Millet, and Oat Breakfast Pudding

Abb88b55 a6f7 4c48 a404 4033873ff350  bhutanese red 9322

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Bhutanese Red Rice, Millet, and Oat Breakfast Pudding" from gingerroot. It says:

"In a small saucepan (or electric rice cooker, as I did) combine Bhutanese red rice, millet, water, cinnamon stick, cardamom and bay leaves; allow grains/spices to soak for at least 20 minutes before cooking. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, being careful mixture does not boil over. Cook until grains are tender, about 25 minutes. Pick out whole spices and discard. Cool and transfer cooked grains to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight."

I'd love to use my fuzzy logic rice cooker for this, therefore I have a few questions about time, liquid, and heat to do this successfully. Do I use the "mixed grains" setting on my fuzzy logic rice cooker? Do I use any other settings? Do I use the called for amount of liquid, or do I fill it to the ~ rough amount mark on the rice cooker? Do I use the same time amounts? Or do I allow my fuzzy logic rice cooker to "do it's thing"? Please help me use this great tool so I can concentrate on the other dishes. :)
p.s. Is there any way to begin incorporating rice cooker directions/instructions for some of the obvious dishes like risottos, jams, and polentas? I'd really appreciate it.
- Sashinka

asked by Sashinka about 6 years ago

Ec89bac4 d90d 46fb a336 04afd14d1e80  img 1958

Hi Sashinka,
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the fuzzy logic type of rice cooker, but since mine is just a basic cooker and the grains were perfectly cooked, I would think that you could add the ingredients as listed and just let your rice cooker cook until ready. Although I have never used my rice cooker for other dishes like risotto or polenta, I imagine your instruction manual might point you in the right direction. If not, a quick internet search will certainly yield a lot of options. Here are a few I found:
http://www.seriouseats...
http://www.mybakingaddiction...
I will say, IMHO, rice cooker risotto will never be as good as twenty minute, stir by hand risotto.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

I have a Sanyo rice cooker that uses fuzzy logic. For any whole grain, from barley to farro to millet, I just put in two parts water to one part grain and cook it on the brown rice setting. It always comes out perfectly. But I don't think it would work well for polenta or risotto.