🔕 🔔

What type of cornbread for the perfect southern style dressing?

If I am eating cornbread plain, I like it somewhat sweet and dense. It doesn't seem like the best for dressing so what would you suggest to modify? Less sweet, lighter crumb/less dense? We are doing a Southern inspired Turkey Day menu and I want to create the best cornbread sausage stuffing. Thanks!

asked by meganvt01 almost 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

aargersi makes a not sweet corn bread that i think would be great to use as stuffing. Check this out (minus the pears of course):
http://food52.com/recipes...

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

When we lived in the south they had a saying, your tea should be sweet, your cornbread should NOT.

5590ce29 aa2e 417c 94ba 2fbc61134171  174060 100000008404888 3554258 n

I'm with you, lorigoldsby, on no sugar in cornbread (or hushpuppies), and definitely not in dressing. I would use a recipe with more cornmeal (white) than flour and one that uses buttermilk. My mom always makes our dressing, and she bakes biscuits and cornbread for dinner a few days before Thanksgiving and then uses the leftovers in the dressing.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Hi LG! I also posted a cornbread dressing recipe, complete with not sweet cornbread (and no pears :-) http://www.food52.com/recipes...

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

I just got my Thanksgiving bon appetit in the mail, and they talk about this very topic! They agree with everyone here--not sweet. Check out their recipe here: http://www.bonappetit.com...