🔕 🔔

Wine + an aluminum roasting pan

I'm planning on making AntoniaJames' spatchcocked turkey, but the only pan I have that will fit my turkey is aluminum. Should I skip the step where she has you pour wine over the bird so that I don't get off flavors from the acid/Al reaction?

asked by emadethis about 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd definitely worry about the acid and aluminum. Especially if it's one of the disposable pans. Maybe just replace the wine with stock.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

We made this on a cooling rack set over a large baking sheet (the size of a half sheet tray, in restaurant terms) and it worked out well.

I agree with both Kirsten and hardlikearmour, but would note that if there were a lot of pan juices (and if I were not using a baking sheet, which is a good solution), I might not worry about it too terribly much, and would very slowly drizzle a few tablespoons of wine over the hot bird. I'd probably add a touch of wine when making gravy; and of course, I'd pour a glass for myself! ;o)

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Take a glass of water, pour into the aluminum pan, boil, then cool. Drink the water. That should convince you to invest in a nice stainless steel roasting pan. They are not that expensive these days and you will be surprised at how much you will use it.

19ce46b9 02f2 4945 940d 0bf922e8ed02  100 1967

It's a actual roasting pan, but it occurred to me that I often roast chickens on Al baking sheets and deglaze them post roasting with wine or lemon juice--because I'm just deglazing it, it never seems to have time to get a weird flavor. So maybe I'll pour over stock and save the wine for the gravy. Thanks all.