🔕 🔔

Help for the celery-challenged

I recently impulse-bought a big bag of celery (3 heads.) 2 3/4 heads remain, taunting me every time I open the vegetable drawer. While I often use celery as an ingredient - soups, stews, braises, chopped in salads, etc. - that only takes a stalk or two. It has never appealed to me enough to 'get' it in a starring role. I must be missing something. Anybody have suggestions for a good celery-centric recipe, preferably that uses a lot?

asked almost 6 years ago

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

Do you have any French cookbooks? I would recommend a braised celery. Here's a recipe I found on line: http://10minutefrenchcooking...

5242e966 33b2 40fd be9b 92606991300f  sara clevering

I posted a recipe on my blog recently: http://threecleversisters... because I had the same problem. (I should add it here, actually). It's a bit "summery" I'm afraid but it's easy. I've seen the braised celery in Julia Child. I made it once and to my suprise my husband really liked it. (I can't remember what I thought, except that the idea of braised celery was so odd). I am curious to hear what others suggest as I often have a glut of celery. Actually, I always mean to eat it as a healthy snack but that never happens.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

There was a hotline question a few days ago about celery. I found it very helpful. What about cream of celery soup or pureeing into mashed potatoes or a smoothie?

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

In Rome they use celery abundantly. Coda alla vaccinara (oxtail) being a good example. When you buy celery try to get the tops too as they are packed with flavor. In Italy it would be a crime to trim them off and throw them away. But a slowly braise oxtail with celery is mighty fine.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

First: yes, I have roughly 9523 French cookbooks (only a slight exaggeration) - including JC's Art of...thanks for reminding me.

Thanks for the celery/anchovy salad idea - sounds promising. My devotion to anchovies knows no season. Also, missed the earlier question here about celery - will investigate.

Re: celery tops - yes, I always use them (in fact, sometimes that's all I use.) Almost an herb, really. Also true about celery in Italian cooking - have always liked it 'in' recipes (e.g., meat braises,) but am trying to get on board with dishes where it 'is' the central element. If that makes sense.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'm not the hugest celery fan myself, but found this soup to be surprisingly delicious: http://www.myrecipes.com...

357b354b 4c02 43ad 8664 b674194054ea  me.pie.cookbooks

I've made this soup too and it IS delicious!

PIerino reminded me of a celery recipe in Marcella Hazan's cookbook--a meatloaf with celery leaves (that is, if I recall first browned on the stove and then roasted in the oven). It's wonderful!

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

Saveur had a great article about slow cooking vegetables. It featured an interesting looking recipe for braised celery with tomatoes. See here - http://www.saveur.com/article...

More good ideas. That soup with blue cheese and apples sounds great. Thanks! I seem to be most drawn to celery things where the second string layers (blue cheese, anchovies) are pronounced flavors. Makes sense I guess, for a non-celery person.

Ec30261f e677 492c 9ab6 670678db31fd  dscn3372

This was the soup I ate all winter last year. It's easy, tasty and uses lots of celery. Even my celery-hating friend enjoyed it. I skip the cream but always sieve it. Hope you like it!
http://wednesdaychef.typepad...