Regarding yeast: which kind is most reliable, best; if it's an envelope, etc., what's the best way to keep it fresh after opening. Thanks!

asked by EmilyNunn over 7 years ago

thirschfeld

I buy a big bag of instant dry yeast and keep it in the freezer.

Verdigris

I second thirschfeld's answer. My most reliable source is from www.kingarthur.com as the product is always fresh.

I do what thirschfeld does. But I buy active dry yeast, which is different, right thirschfeld?

thirschfeld

mrsl you are right, I am sort of yeast dislexic and am always combining them like instant quick fresh

We're all on the same page here. I buy active dry yeast in a jar. Yeast and yeast dough's stand up amazingly well to freezing and refrigeration. It's always nice to find a wrapped up ball of pizza dough in the freezer.

Mr_Vittles

I just buy a jar of Fleischman's Instant Yeast and keep it in the fridge. I seem to use all of it before the bacteria die.

EmilyNunn

Thanks!

RavensFeast

I also buy yeast in bulk, from Bob's Red Mill. The instructions on the bag say to put in a lidded jar and store it in the fridge, so that's what I do.

betteirene

Ditto.