🔕 🔔

I made torrone and it came out way too soft. Two questions about it.

I know it was at the right temperature. Can it be too soft from underbeating? Any suggestions on troubleshooting this for next time would be great. Also, is there anything I can do with the too soft batch? It tastes so great I hate to just throw it away.

asked by Couldn't Be Parve about 6 years ago

Humidity is the likely culprit for any nougat that's too soft, even after reaching the right temperature. I'd put the soft gooey stuff between cookies, or any other place you could use something sweet, soft and gooey. Not sure if there is a fix to create a good nougat from what you have there . . . . no doubt there are experts here who would know. ;o)

B374f07a 68c6 4595 a705 99ed993c08fc  coconut panna cotta small for web

I don't think it was humidity because it is fairly dry here and the other candy I made at the same time came out fine. Possible though. I will try again. Thanks for the suggestion for filling cookies, I hadn't thought of that but this would be a great filling for some bar cookies. I will try that.

Yes, I suspect the culprit is from underbeating. Nougat is not easy to make. The cooking temp has to be exactly right, as does the beating time. Just about the time your mixer sounds like it's about to give out is about right. Also, I go a bit high on the measurement for corn syrup.

Thanks for your feedback. My recipe said to beat it for only 2-3 minutes until "slightly cool and thickened". Is that too short? I made it from this recipe once before in a candy making class but it seemed much more obvious when the instructor was there to say "stop". I will keep trying.

It turns out the too soft nougat is perfect when dipped in chocolate so that is how I salvaged the batch.

Oh, great fix! Yes, definitely beat it longer. It wants to be very, very thickened before your scrape it out of the bowl.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Bouloangere has you on the right path...definitely mix it longer than your recipe calls for...and a "heaping" serving of the corn syrup...

Thanks for the help! I am going to get some more pistachios today so I can try it again. Hopefully it will turn out better this time.

Unaware that humidity might result in too-soft torrone, I tried making it for the first time yesterday--as a rainy day project! Whether it was the humidity or I did not beat the mixture long enough, the candy was much too soft to cut after setting overnight. I put the pan of torrone in a low oven (175 F) for about two hours, as if I were making meringues. The mixture dried out and the torrone was firm enough to slice after cooling.

Thanks, I Hope this method saves the day because I made a double batch of torrone and forgot the extra beating step before adding the nuts to what was coming out perfect. Right after the mistake I knew it was going to be soft after setting up overnight. I was correct so I looked up this fix and my mistake is in the oven. I hope this salvages the torrone.