🔕 🔔

Vegetarian, low-fat, gluten and dairy free side dish...

A vegetarian, low-fat, gluten and dairy free friend invited me over for dinner. We're making rice noodles and eggplant with peanut sauce. What's a good side dish I could bring, preferably something with some protein?

asked by linzarella almost 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

This is a favorite recipe of ours - I add walnuts, sometimes parmesan. We like a little heat so I saute serrano peppers with the garlic and shallots.

Executive Chef Cris Comerford's No Cream Creamed Spinach

Ingredients
2 pounds baby spinach, washed and cleaned
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Method
1. Blanch half a pound of spinach in salted, boiling water. Immediately, “shock” the blanched spinach in a bowl of iced water. Drain and squeeze out the excess water. Puree in a blender. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, sweat the shallots and garlic until translucent. Add the rest of the spinach leaves. Toss and sauté until wilted. Fold in the spinach puree. Season with salt and pepper.

Serves 6.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Wow! Green papaya salad with tofu? Cabbage salad with a chili/mirin dressing? Green beans with a spicy garlic sauce or XO sauce with out the dried shrimp bits. Cucumber salad. Vietnamese table salad. Pickled root vegetable salad. That's hard, good luck and let us know what you decide.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

I ended up making two salads - a cucumber and radish salad with a pickled ginger dressing, and this carrot salsa verde salad, minus the anchovies: http://www.food52.com/recipes...