🔕 🔔

I have a recipe and there's a suggestion that it be served with "prepared English mustard". Rookie question: what is that? Can I use it to do other things than accompany this dish (it's a very yum Guinness/steak/chedder pie, but I don't make it that often)?

asked by mklug almost 7 years ago

Coleman's English Mustard, my hubby's favorite. Comes in a small, yellow glass jar. We always have to have it with sausages. I actually like Chinese mustard better, but that's just me.

It is strong mustard and you can use it like any mustard, on sandwiches, in recipes....

opps I though img src tag worked here.

Prepared just means it's not ground mustard powder. I think you'd be safe using whichever prepared mustard you most prefer.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Please don't worry about the "English" part. They don't understand mustard anyway---although they do make good worcestershire sauce. Substitute your favorite french mustard (ha, take that William Pitt!). Just don't use something like French's yellow.

Now, now. I disagree with pierino. French mustard is good, but an English mustard is a bit different. It tends to be on the sharp/hot side and I find that with something like a steak pie its assertiveness makes for a better match.

I think prepared English mustard means Coleman's Mustard powder mixed with water to "prepare" it. In our house we eat it as a condiment - very sparingly - with steak. I always make it at least 30 minutes before we eat it to let it cure.

Thanks all--I like the sound of it, and think it'll be just the thing to cut through the yummy-yet-heavy nature of the steak pie. Plus, I found a few good-looking recipes that call for just the mustard powder (unprepared, I guess) as part of a rub. Am very excited...thanks again!