I'm wondering about the best rack of lamb to roast. Frenched or not?

Does it matter to the taste and presentation if the rack is not trimmed? I'm preparing a special birthday dinner for a friend. He's a bit of a traditionalist.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi November 10, 2011

French looks pretty but all that wonderful meat that is removed from drenching is a waste. Leave it on for the best tasting chop.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi November 10, 2011

That is frenching, not drenching . . . . Thank you auto spell check

pierino November 10, 2011

While I agree with much of what usuba dashi say's, I still like the idea of frenching the bones. I actually do this with frog legs too, veering off into the amphibian world. Those scrapped scraps can be put to use.

boulangere November 10, 2011

I agree with pierino. Save the scraps. Frenching makes for a cleaner presentation, and more even cooking and more even cooking because you concentrate the mass better.

boulangere November 10, 2011

And did I mention more even cooking?

pierino November 11, 2011

Frenching is a very useful technique when cooking lamb shank too. When you cut through the tendons and scrape the bone the meat tends to "bulb" at the end, per boulangere's point about "concentrate the mass". No religious connotations.