🔕 🔔

I'm wondering about the best rack of lamb to roast. Frenched or not?

Does it matter to the taste and presentation if the rack is not trimmed? I'm preparing a special birthday dinner for a friend. He's a bit of a traditionalist.

asked by freshparsley almost 6 years ago

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

French looks pretty but all that wonderful meat that is removed from drenching is a waste. Leave it on for the best tasting chop.

That is frenching, not drenching . . . . Thank you auto spell check

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

While I agree with much of what usuba dashi say's, I still like the idea of frenching the bones. I actually do this with frog legs too, veering off into the amphibian world. Those scrapped scraps can be put to use.

I agree with pierino. Save the scraps. Frenching makes for a cleaner presentation, and more even cooking and more even cooking because you concentrate the mass better.

And did I mention more even cooking?

Frenching is a very useful technique when cooking lamb shank too. When you cut through the tendons and scrape the bone the meat tends to "bulb" at the end, per boulangere's point about "concentrate the mass". No religious connotations.