A question about a recipe: Butternut Squash Puree

6efaa2db ed97 4c18 8f6c 98e596351892  030111f 238

What herbs do you like with butternut squash? I've made this infusing the oil with fresh bay leaves and fresh marjoram before cooking the squash, but am looking for other ideas. (I also did bay + cinnamon stick, then topped with a touch of pecorino when serving, and that was excellent, by the way.) Thank you so much, everyone. ;o)

asked about 7 years ago

davidpdx

Curry powder goes great with squash, as does ground cumin!

Sugar On My Tongue

sage and thyme.

I really like sage.

I love sage too - very classic with butternut squash; especially good with some shaved/grated parm or pecorino too. I also make a roast b-nut soup (and any other winter squash, onions, etc.) flavored with ginger, mace and a touch of cayenne; should work in a pureed side dish as well.

I also vote thyme plus leeks. There's a great recipe for butternut squash tart in the Fields of Greens cookbook that combines it with leeks, thyme, and gruyere.