What herbs go in making pickles?

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti November 12, 2011

Dill is a classic! I also like to use various different types of mustard seeds.

susan g November 12, 2011

If you are making cucumber pickles look for a combination labeled "Pickling Spice." Recipes might also have dill and/or garlic, and whole hot peppers if they aren't in the blend. You can make cauliflower pickles and others with that blend too.

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner November 13, 2011

It really depends on the type of pickles you are making. I made many different types of pickles over the summer. Dilly beans used dill. Senfgurken use mustard seeds. I made two other variations of those. One using tarragon so they have a cornichon flavor. The other used lemongrass and bay. Bread & butter pickles use pickling spice (which is very simple to make yourself). Pickled beets have cloves, cinnamon & allspice in them. Mustard pickles have a sauce made of powdered mustard and flour - sounds strange, but is fantastic. Pickled jalapenos/serranos have garlic, onion and carrots. Pickled peppers had no spices at all. There are many recipes available on line. I usually refer to my circa 1940's cookbooks for pickle, relish, and preserve recipes. Bottom line, have fun with it! Refer to Ball Blue Book for guidelines on preserving & pickling.