A question about a recipe: Leg of Lamb with Garlic Sauce

Can I substitute lamb chops instead of the rack of lamb? How does that change the cooking time?

• Posted by: Avec
  • November 13, 2011
4f168cae d698 4c0a 9fbb 382fba4136c4  2015 1207 leg of lamb with garlic sauce james ransom 014
Recipe question for: Leg of Lamb With Garlic Sauce

ChefJune November 13, 2011

This is a recipe for a LEG of lamb, not a rack. Of course, you could apply the herbs, etc. to a rack or separated chops, but it would be a completely different dish. Lamb chops, cooked rare, take almost no time at all to cook.

I would also think it would be difficult to poke holes and stuff them with garlic and anchovies in such a small area.

ChefJune November 13, 2011

ChefJune November 13, 2011

ChefJune November 13, 2011

ChefJune November 13, 2011

Admin, please the duplicate entries. I only clicked once! Thanks.

Avec
Avec November 13, 2011

Thanks ChefJune! I wasnt able to to buy a leg of lamb so I ended up using some bone in shoulder. Regardless, the recipe was a major hit! Incredible.

ChefJune November 14, 2011

Good for you! When I saw your question I didn't even think about shoulder. That would also be a great vehicle for stuffing with anchovies and garlic. I sadly presumed you already had the chops! My bad. So glad it worked out well.

pierino November 14, 2011

Another fan of lamb shoulder here (as well as lamb shank, which also would go well with anchovies and garlic in a braise). My own approach to roasting meats is based on internal temperature vs pounds per hour. Ovens can be wildly inconsistant no matter what the dial says. I use a Thermapen because you get a reading in 2 to 3 seconds compared to 20 for most "instant reads". Lately I've been fooling around with internal brines. Haven't experimented with lamb yet though.