🔕 🔔

Can't find meyer lemons - can I substitute a regular lemon?

Ecaac223 4c57 4926 aa7b 97be6d54d8d2  food52 12 18 12 1328

I have a question about the recipe "Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart " from dymnyno.
Where can I find Meyer lemons? How can I substitute a regular lemon

asked by Gret about 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Meyer lemons tend to show up late fall to early winter at the grocery stores where I live. I'd be worried about bitterness if you subbed a regular lemon - regular lemons have a much thicker pith than meyer lemons. If need be I'd zest the regular lemon, then remove the skin before blending.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I have used a regular lemon in place of a Meyer lemon when they are out of season for this recipe. I zested the lemon and removed the pith (as HLA suggests). I also added a whole clementine.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

We can always get Meyer lemons here, but I've purposely used regular ones. I pretty much do what hla and wssmom suggest, but in the most casual, almost sloppy, of ways. I just get a little of the pith out but don't work too hard. After all, it's "Lazy" Mary's Tart. And, by the way, you are in for a treat! This one is truly a genius recipe.