When chopping dried chilies, specifically Chili D'Aarbol, they pop off my Boos cutting board and land on the floor...what are your suggestions?

nboxberger
nboxberger November 4, 2010

How small are you trying to get the pieces? I would probably use the side of a chef's knife, and push down on the chilies to break them into smaller pieces. I bet you could also hold them inside a plastic bag and cut them into slices with kitchen shears.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles November 4, 2010

I sometimes break them up in a blender. That way they do not fly everywhere and I can get them to a point where I like them. A couple pules will break them up and bit more will turn them into powder.

KitchenKim
KitchenKim November 4, 2010

I love your suggestions. I am using the dried chilies to season my roaster chicken, so the pieces are rather small. The next time I will slice them on the board, remove the seeds, and then use the bag method to gather my ingrediant and to avoid flying peppers! Thanks!

pierino November 4, 2010

I would use a small sharp knife to first cut the stem end off, scrape out as much of the seed as you can, slice crosswise and then chop using a larger knife (or a mezzaluna), or as Mr V suggests, use a quick pulse or two in a blender or food processor.