🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

Ec3c1da0 82a5 4554 9acc 36dfd77f86af  2016 1028 judy bird bobbi lin 11189

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Sprinkle the inside of the turkey lightly with salt. Place the turkey on its back and salt the breasts, concentrating the salt in the center, where the meat is thickest. You'll probably use a little more than a tablespoon."

Does any salt need to be rubbed underneath the skin? or just on top?

asked by BobLoblaw almost 6 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Just on top! Cook's Illustrated says you have to rub under the skin, but Russ Parsons says you don't. I tried it Parsons' way a few times and I'm going with his way (it's easier anyway).

Wow that really sounds too easy. Thanks so much! My first attempt at cooking my own Thanksgiving turkey and am excited to test it out.

Is it still possible to stuff the turkey and tie the drumsticks together? Or is it recommended to leave it untied and cook the stuffing separately?

Thanks again and love the site!

Thanks again and love the site!

Personally, I'm not a big trusser and Barbara Kafka isn't either -- in ber book on roasting, she says it's a relic from when we only roasted things on spits! Here's what Russ Parsons says about stuffing: "Yes, [you can stuff a dry-brined turkey] though a warning is necessary: In order for stuffing to be safe, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says it must be heated to a temperature of 160 degrees at the center. By the time the stuffing reaches that temperature, the breast meat will almost certainly be above 170 degrees. Even dry-brined birds will begin to dry out at that point. But if you have always stuffed your turkey, dry-brining won't affect it." More info here: http://articles.latimes...

Just on top of the skin, and inside the cavity. A branch or two of rosemary inside is wonderful, as is a bit minced up and sprinkled over as well. I brush with melted butter just before it goes into the oven to make the skin extra-shattery crisp. Parson's method is an absolute winner.