🔕 🔔

Seasonal fruit pie in Northern California

Hello friends. I am usually ok using the power of the internets and others' tips, but im having a panic attack because of my current thanksgiving assignment: a fruit pie that would please a family with varied tastes, using fruit that's in season. Any suggestions for fruit and appropriate recipie? I would also like to make the crust myself, but am a beginner. Any and all help much, much, appreciated.

asked by apsingh about 6 years ago

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

This pie is definitely in season!

Kristy Mucci

This recipe also includes a slideshow that might help you with the crust. If you have a food processor, it'll make things easier -- if you don't you'll still be fine! I would definitely roll out the dough using some saran wrap like A&M use in the slideshow. That way no delicate dough gets stuck to your rolling pin. good luck!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

That recipe is perfect for you! If you want an apple variety that's common in Northern California, Northern Spies make a great pie.

One more thought though--if you have vegetarians in your group or find Midge's pie crust, you can search the FOOD52 recipes for pie crust -- http://www.food52.com/recipes... -- and find some no-lard or simpler ones.

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

If you want a seasonal pie, try my Nantucket Cranberry Cobbler. Fresh cranberries are in all the markets now.

I almost forgot! Lemons are coming into season, so if you can snag a Meyer lemon, my Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart is real easy and quick to make.

Thank you ALL so much for your suggestions! Actually going to do both the apple pie and the cobbler, I want cranberries represented in a non-sauced form. Sadly will have to wait on the Meyer lemon, but that's on my list. Happy Thanksgiving!

Good for you! I confess that one of my first thoughts for you was the dymnyno's lemon tart, but I figured that everyone is not tuned into lemon season and that apples and cranberries say "thanksgiving." But definitely--keep it on your list. It's super easy and delicious. A true genius recipe.