Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Making Appple , Cranberry Pie for thanksgiving. There is always a space between fruit & top crust. Is it worth precooking apples before

putting in crust to bake ?

asked by dcmanning about 5 years ago
Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I wouldn't cook the apples in advance without a different recipe that instructs, but what I would do is switch to a lattice topping. Then you don't have the old pastry tent over the filling scenario. With strips of dough, they tend to hold on nice and tight.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I am a big fan of Shirley Corriher's book Cookwise. I always pre-cook my apples slightly and it makes a big difference. Here is one of her recipes - you can follow it and easily leave out the walnuts and dates if you prefer. http://www.jewishfood-list...

I'd agree with SKK. I have not pre-cooked myself. I don't, after all, make apple pie all too often. But I have heard pre cooking is the trick to creating less of a gap between fiing and crust. I think serious eats did a piece on it in their "food lab."