sweet potato puree- make ahead?

If I made my sweet potato puree a day ahead of time and reheated it, would it be ghastly or ok?

sdebrango November 18, 2011

I do it every year and it is perfectly fine. I bake the sweet potatoes, puree and cover and they taste just as fresh at least to me the next day.

AntoniaJames November 18, 2011

SDB is exactly right. They'll be fine. You might need to add just a touch of liquid while heating, and keep the heat very low while warming (unless you put them in the oven, in which case a moderate oven should be fine.) Make sure you roast the sweet potatoes in their skins, by the way, for the deepest, richest flavor. Yummm. ;o)

Stephanie G
Stephanie G November 18, 2011

Thanks! I never thought of roasting in the skins.

sdebrango November 18, 2011

AntoniaJames is right. I always roast the sweet potatoes in their skins, the flavor of roasting as opposed to boiling them is amazing. They are so good. I make sweet potato pie every Thanksgiving its delicious.

AntoniaJames November 18, 2011

Not to mention that roasting is so much easier! Once they're cooled, you just scrape the potato away from the skins, if the skins don't easily peel off (which they usually do). I always poke a few slits, using the tip of my small knife, into each potato before putting into the oven. Now I'm thinking about changing my menu for The Big Day from butternut squash to sweet potatoes! I haven't had them in so long. On my way to the recipe search box, now!! Good luck Stephanie G! ;o)

amysarah November 18, 2011

Roasting sweet potatoes - before mashing, pureeing, making into a souffle, anything - adds so much flavor. I let them roast until the flesh beneath the skin begins to caramelize. Chef's bonus is popping any pieces of the roasted skins with potato clinging to them into your mouth as you peel them. Win-win.

AntoniaJames November 18, 2011

So true, amysarah. That just sealed the deal . . . i'm making HLA's "Sara's Sweet Potato Casserole" for T-Day. Love those roasted sweet potato skins!! ;o)

sdebrango November 18, 2011

I am making the same casserole for T-Day, just got the sweet potatoes can't wait to start baking them. YUM!

amysarah November 18, 2011

I'm doing a similar sweet potato casserole - w/vanilla, eggs, etc., topped with walnut crumble. Might throw a little dark rum in there too.

This reminds me - one of my very favorite winter things: a big sweet potato, roasted until it's soft and the juices bubbling through the X cut in the skin are caramelized...split open, with a big dollop of butter, salt and lots and lots of fresh ground black pepper. So good. I can't tell you how many times that - and a glass of wine - has been my entire dinner when I'm home alone.