A question about a recipe: Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise

79d09d1b e8cc 451c 8ece 5ce799a08b81  food52 11 01 11 5791

Could I substitute light brown sugar for the raw sugar/demerera sugar this recipe calls for? Or a combination of white and light brown sugar? If so, would it be a 1:1 substitution? I don't want the pie to be overly sweet. Thanks!

asked by halfasiangirl about 7 years ago

I think you could use light brown sugar, which in my mind is pretty equivalent to demerera sugar. I probably wouldn't pack it much, or else measure it with a scale and use 3.5 oz.

I agree with hardlikeearmour -- I'd use a weight equivalent if you're going to substitute brown sugar.