Favorite recipe for tomato soup?

A friend loves, loves tomato soup. She asked me if I could make a batch for her and she could freeze some of it. Any favorites?

• Posted by: SKK
  • November 19, 2011

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti November 19, 2011

I happen to love this one: http://smittenkitchen.com... . And think that good strong well-aged cheddar should factor into the production of any variety!

Ms. T
Ms. T November 19, 2011

I love the slow-roasted tomato soup from "A New Way to Cook" by Sally Schneider. You roast them at 325 for 3 hours with a little olive oil, salt, and pinch of sugar. Then puree with chicken broth and take it any flavor direction you like. She serves with a dollop of herbed creme fraiche. I usually roast shallots too and throw them in when I puree, along with whatever is calling my name from the spice cabinet. Simple and satisfying.

Voted the Best Reply!

vvvanessa
vvvanessa November 19, 2011

i recently did an extensive comparison of tomato soup recipes. what i ended up doing was really simple and the best tomato soup i've made (the lovely yellow heirlooms had a lot to do with it). i sauteed one clove of garlic and one small white onion with olive oil and a bay leaf. when they were soft but not browned, i added in chopped tomatoes, about 6 or 8 cups. i brought it to a boil, then simmered it until the tomatoes had completely fallen apart, maybe 20 or 30 minutes. i removed the bay leaf, whizzed the soup with an immersion blender, added salt and pepper, and a little bit of chicken stock just for consitency's sake (not even 1/2 cup total). i wanted to cut the acidity by just a tiny tiny bit and added about a teaspoon of honey.

i served it with a drizzle of olive oil and a parmesan croutons (heavy on the parm).

SKK November 21, 2011

Thank you all! Wonderful recipes and I am good to go.

AntoniaJames November 21, 2011

I'm not usually much of a fan of tomato soup, but these suggestions have me longing for some! Thanks so much for the great ideas. ;o)

bugbitten
bugbitten November 21, 2011

Don't forget the classic bachelor's gazpacho: In a large bowl, combine one can tomato juice with one container mild salsa. Serve.

nutcakes
nutcakes November 21, 2011

Michael Chiarello has a really great simple soup that is perfect in the winter when you want to use canned tomatos that you roast and caramalize, I like Muri Glen. I'm not usually a big tomato soup fan either, but this with a grilled cheese or cheese croutons rocks.

Homemade Tomato Soup
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

.Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time:-- Cook Time:40 minLevel:
EasyServes:
4 servings.Ingredients
1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.