A question about a recipe: Portuguese Sausage and Clam Pie - What is aleppo pepper? Is there a substitute...chipotle maybe?

640f6a0e a45f 49ca 8d38 430a6def6e4c  sausage and clam pie

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Portuguese Sausage and Clam Pie" from thirschfeld. It says:

"Add the aleppo pepper, paprika, bay leaves and the white wine. Burn off the alcohol and then add 1 1/2 cups of clam juice and the tomato paste. Bring to a boil and add the potatoes and tomatoes. "

asked by CookingMomTR almost 7 years ago

suitablegirl

Aleppo peppers are used by the Syrian and Turkish communities (which makes sense since they're named after a city in Syria). I think it's closer to an Ancho than a Chipotle. Hope that helps!

Aleppo pepper is a mild ground pepper, fruity and with a little kick. Chipotle is smoky--different flavor profile. You might add just a pinch of cayenne in its place.

CookingMomTR

Thanks for the suggestions.

CookingMomTR

I actually found a spice place in Calgary that sells Aleppo pepper.

Another substitute would be piment d'esplette. But there is already "paprika" in his so I think what Mr. T wants you to do is balance the spices. I wouldn't go near chipotle for this. In fact I don't go near chipotle period. If you can find some dried Spanish nora peppers, seed and reconstitute them that might work too.