A question about a recipe: Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Note: Perfectly baked pumpkin pie has no cracks on its surface. Baking hot filling in a chilled crust at 400° F for 25 to 30 minutes produces a smooth, shiny good textured custard and a well-baked crust free from soaking. But if your crust is rolled especially thick, or your pie dish is glass instead of tin, or you loathe underdone bottom crust, you might still want to blind bake it a little."
If I am baking in a glass pie pan and I don't want to blind bake the crust can I use this recipe and bake it as I normally would a pumpkin pie. 425 for 15 minutes then 350 for the rest of the bake time.

670d4e4d c1d4 47e5 a930 736517ded9c9  2014 1030 pumpkin pie 013
Recipe question for: Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci November 22, 2011

I'm a little wary of higher heat because of the custard-y filling. If I were baking in a glass dish, I'd just make sure to roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness.

sdebrango November 22, 2011

Thanks Kristy, I always roll my dough very thin so I will give i a go as written. Thank you.

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci November 22, 2011

Of course, sdebrango! I think you'll be fine. Make sure to chill the dough after you've gotten it into the pie dish. Please report back! Happy Thanksgiving!

sdebrango November 22, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, and I will report back. Love this recipe!

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

I chill the pie-pastry in the pan and then add the pumpkin filling. Preheat the oven to 425F. Put the pie in and immediately turn down to 375F and bake for 50 minutes. I no longer blind bake using a leaf lard and butter pastry. Works fine for me in a glass pan.

sdebrango November 23, 2011

Thank you Kate, I also use a leaf lard/butter pastry and will make sure I chill the dough. Thank you for the advice. Making it today fingers crossed. It goes against my usual method so am a little nervous but will t\rust in the genius recipe. Happy Thanksgiving.,