Pie Crust...pre bake or not

Curious as to why some Pumpkin Pie recipes call for a pre baked crust and others do not....appreciate your comments

• Posted by: gt9
  • November 23, 2011

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti November 23, 2011

It really depends on the recipe -- some pie crusts need to be par-baked before filled and finished in the oven to bake the filling and brown the crust ... others are delicate enough to be baked through while the filling is baking as well.

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti November 23, 2011

SKK November 23, 2011

My daughter the pastry chef blind-bakes pumpkin pies and other cream pies because the filling has been cooked beforehad. (No canned fillings in our house.) I blind-bake apple pies. Berry pies I can go either way.

gt9
gt9 November 24, 2011

Thanks all....Happy Thanks giving