🔕 🔔

How do I get the excess juices out of my vegetables before making a deep dish pizza? I've drained and pressed the tomatoes...should I precook

Have tried multiple times...usually just layer the crust with mozzarella do the juices don't make the crust soggy. I don't use tomato sauce and I drain the meat too.,,maybe just not enough?

asked by Jodee Ross almost 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Are you using canned tomatoes or fresh? Can you give a little more info about what other veggies you're using, and whether they're cooked already or not?

Sounds like you may be using raw vegetables, which will give off a lot of liquid as they cook. You can either cook the vegetables ahead of time, or salt them well and drain them before adding them to the pizza. Eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms in particular contain a lot of moisture and should be salted or cooked beforehand.

Merrill's advice is spot on. Deep dish pizza is a challenge. I still miss our favorite deep dish spinach pizza in Berkeley, but I digress. Salting and draining ahead is a good idea, and I'd also suggest a quick sauté in a really hot pan with some olive oil before panning up your pizza. And bake it at the highest temp you can get out of your oven. And slide the deep dish pan into the oven onto a screamingly hot pizza stone, or quarry tiles (made in the US, so they're certified lead-free).

2b608aab 0869 4ef2 86e4 af3ae3a24cf2  big grapefruit

Yep fresh veggies and tomatoes. I'll try salting and a quick sautee! Thanks!!