What's the difference between a chutney and a jam?

asked by @sdjurgensen almost 8 years ago

BethFalk

They differ in ingredients, texture, and use. Jam is a combination of fruit, sugar, and pectin, and is usually cooked to a pretty smooth consistency (may have bits of fruit but generally not big chunks). It's used as a spread. Chutney usually includes sweet and tart or savory spices, a combination of more different fruits and sometimes vegetables which are chopped, but generally not pureed smooth, and it's used as a condiment next to meats or vegetable dishes.

Mr_Vittles

Basically, jam is sweet, while chutney is savory. Chutney usually has ingredients like onions and raisins, while jam is usually fruit and sugar, and sometimes pectin.

Thomas Millett

"Jam" is a single by Michael Jackson. The song is the fourth single from his 1991 album Dangerous. It appears as track one on Dangerous and track two on his 2009 This Is It compilation album. The single was re-released in 2006 as part of Jackson's Visionary: The Video Singles collection. Michael Jackson never sang about chutney, I hope that helps.

Gavin

No you're wrong the Jam were an English punk rock and mod revival band active during the late 1970s and early 1980s.They were formed in Woking, Surrey. While they shared the "angry young men" outlook and fast tempos of their punk rock contemporaries, The Jam wore smartly tailored suits rather than ripped clothes, and, rather than rejecting the influences of recent rock history in common with other punk bands, they incorporated a number of mainstream 1960s rock and R&B influences, particularly from The Who and from Motown music.

To my knowledge there is no band named 'the chutneys'

Paul Wellar

Hear hear!

RogerDaltrey

Mate, never say I was an influence ever again. I can't stand the jam, and even though the chutneys don't exist, I'm pretty sure they'd write need ed that you.

WayneRooney

I like jam

Paddington Bear

Ain't no room for jam in this town. Where the marmalade at??

RupertTheBear

Sit down and shut the fuck up Paddington, I'm sick of you making us bears look like idiots. Read a book. prick.