🔕 🔔

my recipe calls for ancho chili pepper sprinkled on my deviled eggs, can I use regular chili powder?

asked by cjm almost 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Why not? Just taste one first to make sure you like it.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Sure, regular chili powder should work just fine. Another suggestion would be pimenton, if you have it.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I'd certainly sample one first; regular chili powder often has cumin in it, which, while I like it, may not be what you want for your deviled eggs. I always use pimenton, myself.

Sure, of course you can. But I'm down with the pimenton as well. In fact if you can find piment d'esplette (the Basque version) even better.

Pimenton would be good, but you might also try aleppo pepper, which is a crushed red pepper that doesn't have too much heat and a great flavour. ordinary chili powder is, I find, just too unpredictable. Too many are just hot with no flavour.