my recipe calls for ancho chili pepper sprinkled on my deviled eggs, can I use regular chili powder?

asked by cjm almost 8 years ago

Why not? Just taste one first to make sure you like it.

Mr_Vittles

Sure, regular chili powder should work just fine. Another suggestion would be pimenton, if you have it.

Kayb

I'd certainly sample one first; regular chili powder often has cumin in it, which, while I like it, may not be what you want for your deviled eggs. I always use pimenton, myself.

Sure, of course you can. But I'm down with the pimenton as well. In fact if you can find piment d'esplette (the Basque version) even better.

innoabrd

Pimenton would be good, but you might also try aleppo pepper, which is a crushed red pepper that doesn't have too much heat and a great flavour. ordinary chili powder is, I find, just too unpredictable. Too many are just hot with no flavour.