🔕 🔔

What FOOD52 holiday cookies, bars or other treats work well for shipping to friends and family far away? Read on, please . . . ;o)

I'm looking for durable treats that won't arrive as crumbs, and that will taste good 4 or 5 days after making. Currently on my list are Fudgy Bourbon Balls and Peppermint Pretzel Bark, so I'm looking for a few (not chocolate) cookies and/or bars. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked almost 6 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Wanderash's Chile cinnamon bark..

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

My ribbon cookies travel well, you don't have to do the chocolate layer, you can improvise with different flavors or just make the cardamom, orange which is what I do to make shaped cookies for Christmas. I sent them to hardlikearmour and she said they arrived in one piece and she really liked them.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

My heavenly hash travels very well. You can flavor store bought mini marshmallows (which are more shelf stable than homemade) by pouring 1 t. Of peppermint extract on a paper towel and sealing it in a ziplock bag with the marshmallows for 4 hours. I did this with my cooking class and they were impressed with the ease. Also, if you make chocolate bark, just break into a few larger pieces and the traveling will do the rest of the work for you. The big hit this weekend was white chocolate with pink Himalayan salt and pink peppercorns, dried craisins and dried blueberries and sliced almonds.

A little package of chai spice blend (I just added the recipe today), Its guaranteed to arrive in one piece!

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

AJ, how about the so called Anzac biscuits. The Australian cookie that was developed especially for the purpose of being shipped to soldiers by their families. They usually have a good amount of coconut in them and are neither easily perishable nor prone to crumbling or breaking. There are different variations that can be found online, but the ones from Australian sources are the most authentic ones. I'll see if I can find a few good ones.

http://www.myrecipes.com...
Here is one by Cooking light. If a small amount of chocolate is fine you could lace them to dress them up. Your slow roasted pecans would also be nice maybe ligtly candied. And if you were to make a Christmas nibble of sorts that has popcorn in it, it will act as a buffer to breakage.

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

i know this doesn't really sound all that festive or decadent, but this granola is really an indulgence. i guest-blogged the recipe here (you can, of course, omit the cocoa nibs):

http://teachergoesbacktoschool...

vrunka's orange cardamom fig newtons might work:

i've also always wanted to make these. i'd probably use brown rice syrup instead of the maltose:

http://kitchentigress.blogspot...

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would suggest a dark chocolate "bark" with raisins and nuts. Make in round or square moulds, wrap in cello with ribbon. The dark chocolate is harder than milk and will survive a trip via the post office !