Leftover red wine

I have a bottle of Acacia Pinot Noir 2010 a guest opened last night (and had one glass of...) What might I do with the leftover wine? I suppose I could braise some meat, but I was hoping some of you will have a better idea. Thank you in advance.

asked by marynn almost 7 years ago

Alamobecky

A red pasta sauce?

LLStone

I'm making red wine vinegar w/ bits of leftover wine. Put a little organic cider vinegar (w/ the mother) into a seal-able jar and dump your leftover red wine in there as you have it. Seal and store in a dark spot for several months and you end up w/ red wine vinegar.

RobS

If it is well stored - stoppered tightly ideally with the air pumped out the best thing to do with the wine today is to drink it!. A 2010 Pinot should be pretty delicious on day two.
If you must cook than I would recommend a coq a vin or beef bourguignon. Either chicken or beef braised in a red wine sauce where the wine traditionally is a Pinot Noir.

Per 2 cups of wine, simmer for five minutes on very low heat with 1 cinnamon stick, 1 whole clove, 3 lightly crushed black peppercorns, 2 large hunks of orange peel (without the white part -- just the zest) and 1 teaspoon crushed anise seeds; let it steep for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving the orange peel. Add 1/2 cup ruby port and 1 pound dark mission figs (trimmed) and the reserved peel. Cook (bare simmer) over low heat for 3 or 4 minutes. Let cool. Serve over vanilla ice cream or (though I haven't tried it, Alice Waters recommends it) coffee ice cream. These will keep for a month, at least, refrigerated. Or, make Smoking Bishop (spiced wine and port punch, similar to the above), recipe for which is posted here on FOOD52 ;o)

Droplet

There is also a good recipe for Risotto Rosso on here : http://www.food52.com/recipes...

bigpan

Make a quick tomato sauce with the wine and freeze for your next pasta meal.