🔕 🔔

Can I use red wine that has turned as a braising liquid? If not, how else may I use it?

I have a bottle (or 2) of red wine that went bad over the summer in the high heat (my bad). Can I use them in other applications, such as braising or just to deglaze, so I don't have to pour them down the drain? What results might I expect if I use it while cooking?

asked by Celeste Scollan 5 months ago
23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

You could take up vinegar making.

If you wouldn't drink it, you really don't want to cook with it. Just chalk it up to experience, and find a good place to store your wines in the summer so they won't cook.

159fa81e df11 417f b133 59c3df6008c7  food53

If they were of acceptable quality in the bottle and suffered heat fault, then I would use to deglaze or to throw in a stew. I don't like to waste.

If they were badly faulted in the bottle (wine can suffer a few different faults in the winery and in the bottle) with or without the storage issue, and if I could taste and smell the fault, then I would return to the seller or just discard.

I do cook with wine that I don't drink, but only for deglazing or dishes where the flavour largely disappears except for maybe a small added dimension. When wine is making a star appearance, like for a sauce where wine flavour is key, then that wine must be good in the glass, and while I'm cooking! :-)