Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Can I freeze my leftover pies?

I have a leftover poking pie, pecan pie and apple pie. I'm worried about the crust becoming soggy. If I can reheat them, how do I keep the crust from burning?

asked by Angela,LaFollette about 5 years ago
2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

This is what Rose Levy Beranbaum said about freezing cooked pies:
wouldn’t freeze a baked pie because the dough loses much of its charm and all that remains is the filling and calories!
I have never frozen a cooked pie so cannot speak from experience but Ms. Beranbaum is an expert and I trust her advice. When you get a commercially prepared pie they are usually unbaked and those freeze well but doubt you would have good results with a baked pie.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I have frozen pumpkin pie in the past. I don't recommend it; the custard loses moisture & texture and the crust separates from the filling.

Thanks for the help! I didn't have a lot of leftover pie but I don't like to waste food if I don't have to.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.