A question about a recipe: Savory Cooked Rice Sandwich Bread

Can I use buttermilk instead? And sorry one other question, can I omit the Wheat germ?

• Posted by: happycao
  • November 29, 2011
28d1d676 ac34 42dd 9e01 4feb0f30bdf8  sweet scones and rice bread 006
Recipe question for: Savory Cooked Rice Sandwich Bread

AntoniaJames November 29, 2011

Yes, you can use buttermilk, but add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to it, to neutralize the acid (which can affect the yeast). And yes, you can omit the wheat germ, but you'll need to replace it with about 1 tablespoon of flour (any kind). ;o)

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon November 29, 2011

Sometimes yeasted breads can be a bit finicky about the kind of liquids that are used in their family of recipes. Yeast does not always interact with soured milks well, although for one loaf it would be worth a shot. If I don't have milk for a yeasted bread recipe I substitute water.

happycao
happycao November 30, 2011

I've tried AntoniaJames's recipe for Buttermilk Oat bread, and it was really soft and chewy and gooooood! So I was hoping it would have given a good texture to the bread, but it might not be the case for all yeasted bread? I'll give it a shot!

AntoniaJames November 30, 2011

This won't be quite as soft, and will be a different kind of chewy. The rice grains are a bit firmer than the oatmeal, once hydrated. They add a nice texture, but the "crumb" is not as even as it is in my buttermilk oatmeal bread. There's a lot of variability in the amount of moisture that the cooked grains hold, so it's important to let the dough rest at least once, before you've finished kneading it, to let the flour hydrate. That way you'll have a better sense as to how much flour to add while kneading. Have fun!! ;o)

happycao
happycao November 30, 2011

ooo.. sounds so intriguing!