Tips for parbaking an all-butter crust?

I made my first all-butter crust for my Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. It came out great, but I want to make it better next time.

Are there tips for parbaking it that won't result in a pool of butter?

asked by ECava almost 7 years ago

marketmaster

Freeze the crust for at least 1 hour before baking. That will give the flour time to create a structure to hold in the butter before the butter melts and runs out. The truth is that I had trouble with butter running out of my crust this year too. I'm not sure why, but I think maybe I didn't get the butter incorporated into the flour well enough. There were fairly large chunks of butter when I rolled it out. I always think that will make it flakier, but obviously you can go too far!

ECava

Thanks, marketmaster! I did refrigerate the dough overnight. To be clear, you're suggesting rolling it out and plating it and freezing the whole pie dish?

Here is a pic of the crust pre-parbaking. Was aiming for the flakiness, as well. Let me know, and thanks again!